[thelist] sendmail 8.12.5-7 problem

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Dec 10 18:53:00 CST 2002

yes it totally is an ms thing. in a previous email i wrote that question
starting it like this... "i come from an ms world, and in that world we
like to reinstall the os when things seem to have 'gone wrong'." but i
deleted it.

> It looks to me like more of a general networking issue.  Can
> you contact
> the box using its IP address in any way from another host (ie
> ping, ssh,
> telnet, anything at all?)

ping: yes.
ssh: not sure, but i think so. someone else i have been talking to about
this said he was able to.
telnet: no, i do not believe so. not so far at least.

>  If not (and you're sure that
> iptables is not
> at fault)

service iptables stop

shouldn't that take any firewalling on behalf of the server out of the
loop?

> then the culprit is your IP/networking setup - do
> you have a
> static IP?

yes and no. it's dhcp, but the ip hangs around for a long time. from the
first time the box received it's ip via dhcp from verizon, it has been
the same thing. my win2k computer has had the same ip for the past 6
months or more and it is also dhcp.

> What does running the
> 'route' command
> tell you?

never tried, but i will. man route here i come.

>  Are you sure that your physical network connection is up?

yuh-huh. i used gaim the other day and surfed the intarweb and sent some
mail from pine to another linux box i've been using to test mine with.

> etc...

please list more things to try, i'm pretty much out of my area of
knowledge.

thanks you're the best! har har.

chris.