[thelist] Creating Online Reports - suggested tools

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Dec 11 08:30:01 CST 2002

Hi Gary,

I use Brio pretty extensively.  It has some quirks - but it's a pretty
good online reporting tool. It lets you build reports that are pretty
close to 'applications' by allowing extensive use of a proprietary
implementation of JS.  Because it makes use of a browser plug-in it
will also let you return a greater sheer volume of data to a user than
some other methods. [e.g. Using ASP you can return what? A couple thousand
table rows to an IE user before it 'breaks'?  With Brio I can return
several hundred thousand records. {Yeah - I know - whether that's of value
to the user is another discussion.  ;-)  }]

Business Objects is fairly popular as well.  I haven't used it very much.
So far I haven't seen any examples of fancy 'scripting' cabailities - I
don't know if it can do that or not.

I haven't used Crystal Reports for over 2 years now.  2.5 years ago I
would have said it was the worst piece of worthless crap masquerading
as software it had ever been my misfortune to use. (I had pretty strong
feelings about it - can ya tell?) ;-)  It may have been a bug in that
version. It may have been a poor installation at that company. I dunno.
I do know that reports built in Crystal were 'unstable' once the table
join became 'too complex'.  There didn't seem to be a set pattern for
when you crossed that 'complexity' threshold ... but you knew when you
crossed it.  Here's what happens ... you are working on developing a new
report ... you run your test report - it returns 500 records.  You make
no changes, you just run it again - it returns 4,675 records.  You make
no changes, you just run it again - it returns 4 records.  *&^*^&^* !!
Try to debug a report in that environment!  I ended up using it to dump
Oracle tables to disk where I would load them into dBase III+ and run
my reports in R&R --- because that was 'stable'. It's most likely a
better product now -- but it *really* sucked when I was trying to use it.

HTH,

RonL.