[thelist] MSSMartTags

Lischke, Katherine L. klischke at northropgrumman.com
Wed Dec 11 13:32:21 CST 2002

At 01:17 PM 12/11/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Just got a frantic call from a client, apparently quite a few words on her
>website now have yellow highlights that link to other websites.
><snip>

>Oh, she said this just started happening in the last few days.

It's possible your client has installed some software in the last few days
that had another application bundled in it and probably installed along
with the parent application without the direct knowledge of your client.
It's that other application (spyware, scumware, whatever you want to call
it) that's putting in the yellow highlights and the links to other
websites. This can happen when you install something like Kazaa.

I searched for "yellow highlights links spyware" on google (without the
quotes) and got a bunch of links that give more information.

Here's one, for starters:

http://scumware.com/

I suppose it might also be MS SmartTags, but at least look into the
possibility of scumware.

Good luck.
Kathy