[thelist] Off-site Links in Articles

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Wed Dec 11 21:58:01 CST 2002

> From the evolt.org FAQ's article "Submission Style Guide:
> Code" [1], under the heading "Off-Site Links", it says:
> "Please add a 'target' attribute to your links to open a new
> window so readers of your article on evolt.org don't lose
> their place. Please use "_blank" so all new links open in one
> window, since the use of "_new" opens links in a new window
> for each link."
>
> Given this was written in April 2001, is this still
> preferred?  Isn't it better to let the user decide which
> window he/she wants the link to open in?
>
> [1] http://www.evolt.org/guide_code/index.html

Hi, Kevin! You like worms, don't you, or else you wouldn't have opened
*this* can ;)

We've gone back and forth behind the scenes about this in the admin group. I
used to be a firm believer in having offsite links open in a new window, and
deciding as a designer whether to use '_new' or '_blank' or some
combination. There is, however, a large contingent which prefers to leave it
up to the user, with no target specified, and it's what I do on my personal
sites these days.

At the moment, it may be inertia as much as intent which leaves that part of
the style guide as it is, but, for now, it is what it is.

If you're interested in how evolt.org is run, and why we are the way we are
(not personally; there's no explaining most of us) feel free to drop by the
forum (http://lists.evolt.org/mailman/listinfo/theforum) and voice your
opinions. We're a friendly bunch and welcome new voices.

spinhead
--
Joel D Canfield
Know Your Music    http://EGBDF.info