[thelist] Accessibility quickie

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 04:10:01 CST 2002

At 09:27 12/12/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Unless the reader modifies the user agent string of the browser (via
>registry setting) when it's installed...? Looks like it's easily done, at
>least with IE.
>
>   http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/799/

Won't this mean all browser detection code will go out the window when
people start personalising their browsers to show how l33t they are?

But what an otherwise excellent collection of tips and tweaks! Thanks!

I don't think that changing the user agent string is actually a very good
idea for solving any accessibility issues. The best approach for developing
accessible designs and content is to either follow the WAI/Section
guidelines or where this wont help, code a separate accessible page.
Changing the string will either have no effect because content has been
made to be browser agnostic (in a perfect world, this is the way it should
be) or will cause many problems because developers can't create pages that
are appropriate for the vast number of "user agents" that may emerge from
people employing this hack.

Simon