[thelist] SENDING NEWSLETTERS

Administrative HQ english_offline at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 11:05:01 CST 2002

Hello.

I have a really dumb question, but I've never put out
a newsletter before and have obligated myself to my
users to do so (for better or for worse).

The first question that comes up is how to do it. I
can use Jmail or ASPEmail from the site's user dbase,
but these methods seem pretty cumbersome, coding every
line break, etc - especially because some of the
information is in other languages which are very hard
to work with using these methods. There seems to be
plenty of software on offer to handle these things
(any suggestions? Should allow defining charset and
content transfer encoding). In short, what's the best
way to do it?

The second question is that a friend of mine told me
he tried to send out a newsletter and was <gulp>
immediatley cut off by his ISP for spamming</gulp>.
Everyone sends these, so I assume there's more to the
story than what he told me OR that he did something
wrong. I would think I could do this with no problem,
provided I include a link for a user who wants to opt
out. Can anyone explain the ins and outs of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David