[thelist] Some Gecko's eat my Flash graphic

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 20 08:33:00 CST 2002

Hello listers,

I'm having a problem with my Flashing.

Drew Mclellan's 'Flash Satay' article on alistapart
<http://alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/> came at an opertune time for
me as I was about to attempt an XHTML1.0/CSS2 site with some Flash based
graphics.

Drews article got me off to a good start, and I now have a test layout
working (though not looking all that pretty) in most of the major modern
browsers (Mac and PC IE5-6, Mozilla 1.2, Opera 5-6).

But I've hit a problem with older Gecko based browsers. If I use a fixed
pixel size in the object tag attributes, my flash displays fine. If I
use a percentage size (so that the graphic scales with the window, the
whole point of me using a vector based format) then it won't show up.

For me this includes Chimera (latest nightly build) and Netscape 7 (on
MacOS 9) and I also have a report that it won't work with PC Mozilla 1.1
, despite the fact that it works perfectly on Mozilla 1.2.

I've checked Bugzilla but can't find anything that seems to fit the
bill, I've googled and I can't find anyone else talking about this.

Here is the page I want, with percentage sizing, and scalable flash:
<http://www.opprints.co.uk/simple_ponzo.php>

And here is one that works with those older Gecko browsers, a fixed
pixel size:
<http://www.opprints.co.uk/simple_ponzo_fixed.php>

Anyone got any idea's?

I can only think of styling the object tag with CSS, though I see no
reason why that should work.

Any suggestions on why this happens (Gecko bug?) and how I can work
around it greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian