[thelist] Some Gecko's eat my Flash graphic

sasha spam at bittersweet2.com
Fri Dec 20 09:34:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:32:59 +0000, Adrian Simmons <adrinux at ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> Hello listers,
>
> I'm having a problem with my Flashing.
>
> Drew Mclellan's 'Flash Satay' article on alistapart
> <http://alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/> came at an opertune time for
> me as I was about to attempt an XHTML1.0/CSS2 site with some Flash based
> graphics.
>
> Drews article got me off to a good start, and I now have a test layout
> working (though not looking all that pretty) in most of the major modern
> browsers (Mac and PC IE5-6, Mozilla 1.2, Opera 5-6).
>
> But I've hit a problem with older Gecko based browsers. If I use a fixed
> pixel size in the object tag attributes, my flash displays fine. If I
> use a percentage size (so that the graphic scales with the window, the
> whole point of me using a vector based format) then it won't show up.
>
> For me this includes Chimera (latest nightly build) and Netscape 7 (on
> MacOS 9) and I also have a report that it won't work with PC Mozilla 1.1
> , despite the fact that it works perfectly on Mozilla 1.2.
>
> I've checked Bugzilla but can't find anything that seems to fit the
> bill, I've googled and I can't find anyone else talking about this.
>
> Here is the page I want, with percentage sizing, and scalable flash:
> <http://www.opprints.co.uk/simple_ponzo.php>
>
> And here is one that works with those older Gecko browsers, a fixed
> pixel size:
> <http://www.opprints.co.uk/simple_ponzo_fixed.php>
>
> Anyone got any idea's?
>
> I can only think of styling the object tag with CSS, though I see no
> reason why that should work.
>
> Any suggestions on why this happens (Gecko bug?) and how I can work
> around it greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

I can't tell you how to work around it, but I can tell you more ways to
make it occur...  My tests were done with Win Netscape 7.0.

Leaving off height/width completely makes the flash not appear.
Adding an id is ok, unless the id definition has percentage based
height/width attributes (any other type of measurement works fine).

Netscape 6 doesn't appear to care either way, but only honors the
percentages if it appears in the html, not css (if it's in the css, the
attributes are applies to the box containing the movie, not the movie
itself).

--
sasha