[thelist] PHP, SAX, and whitespace

Toby Boudreaux tj at tobyjoe.com
Mon Dec 23 21:12:01 CST 2002

I've been writing a template parser using SAX and PHP 4.2 on Unix (OS X
and Red Hat).
I've had a problem with the XML_OPTION_SKIP_WHITE option, which, on
some platforms (apparently this feature isn't finalized on all?)
doesn't work, triggering the CDATA handler on every whitespace char.
I can get around it by compressing my XML, but I'm writing the app for
distribution and there is no way folks are gonna compress their X(HT)ML
before parsing it - and I wouldn't expect them to.

So, what I'd like to know is whether folks have any advice as far as
workarounds, or if they know of a comprehensive list of platforms on
which this option *does* work (so I could at least build a list of
required platforms).

Thanks for any info or advice.

-tobyjoe