[thelist] XML HTTP help (updated, ignore earlier)

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Fri Dec 27 08:27:01 CST 2002

>And got the correct response. So this is good, but now I have to do
>this in MY pages..and I don't know how to generate a post request.
>Can you do this with just a plain HTML page.. without the help of a
>server side software?

Actually yes, you can post XML data from an HTML page, though it is
"enhanced" with Microsoft COM. All you do is instantiate the XmlHttp object
from the MSXML COM component suite and use it, just as you would use
ServerXmlHttp on the server side.

I think I've read about ways to do this also using Javascript only for a
more cross-browser solution, though I can't find anything on that now.

Hey, a quick search on google for "post xml javascript" returned the
following link right off the bat:

	http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/17226/fid/616
	Topic: "How can I post XML data to the server?"

Apparently Mozilla/NN6 offers a native way to handle XML to and from the
server. Sounds like you'll have to handle both browsers in order to do this
though. I'd think there has to be a good abstracted library that uses custom
Javascript objects or methods to do this though, handling all the browser
sniffing for you and just posting/receiving the XML without you having to
worry about the underlying implementation, a la DynAPI.

Sounds like a good project for an enterprising Javascripter to me... :)

-dave