[thelist] Designing ErrorDocs

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Tue Dec 31 10:55:00 CST 2002

Whatever in the world that you decide to do, make 100% sure that the URL
stays as they entered it.

For example, if I type in

http://www.example.com/some/thing/went/wronmg/here

DON'T send me to

http://www.example.com/errors/404.html

a) that's what microsoft does

b) it eliminates the possibility that I can look at the URL field in the
browser and realize that I misspelled "wrong"

Oh, and don't make me wait long either.  If I made a mistake, give me a
couple of quick links... don't do a DB lookup parsing my error into foreign
language recognition patterns in the hope that you might guess what I meant
(mod_speling is ok).

TjL

--
Timothy Luoma <luomat at operamail.com>