[thelist] tabs v spaces

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Thu Jan 2 10:08:02 CST 2003

>   I asked - Are tabs better than spaces....  I
>   wanted to make sure that I wasn't adding extra
>   bulk by using spaces instead of tabs - or I
>   wanted to find out what the arguments for using
>   tabs were (if any)

I see; I did miss your point.

Spaces will add some bulk, but AFAIK, not enough to matter in
most situations.

The best argument for using tabs is that they automatically line
things up in columns.  You can usually add or delete a character
or two without having to tweak your white space.  (not too relevant
if all you're doing is indenting from the left, but ...)

And the reasons why I usually use spaces is that I like to indent
things by two or three spaces, while tabs are usually interpreted
to mean eight.

Ed McCarroll                          MailTo:Ed at ComSimplicity.com
ComSimplicity                                      (310) 838-4330