[thelist] Link Types

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Jan 2 11:35:01 CST 2003

Hey there,

What do you all know about link types.[1]

I've only noticed this since Opera 7 made it default
(although i think iCab and others have it already)

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about,
fire up Mozilla and turn on it's site navigation bar.
(view-> show/hide-> Site Navigation Bar)

Basically it allows you to define elements relate to a page,
e.g. the next chapter, the home page, the author etc...

It allows the browser to use them in a standard manner rather than authors
having to try always have a home/next link for examples where the user can be
confused.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses this much and what the general feeling on it
is also, it doesn't seem to have been picked up yet by the 'big names' online.
And browsing around sites I don't seem to see it much.

Any thoughts?

- Kevin

p.s. Does anyone know if there's a Dreamweaver extension for them?

[1] Further Reading:
http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/WWW/LINK/
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-links
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2001Oct/0026.html