[thelist] Genealogy database schema

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Thu Jan 2 16:52:01 CST 2003

>> one could add a 'union' table, and replace the 'mother' and 'father'
>> columns in the people table with 'parents'.
>
>yeah, but
>
>show me the sql to list both mother and father on the same line with the
>person

in mysql, i'd do the following:

select
	person.id, union.member1 as father, union.member2 as mother
from
	union, person
where
	person.id=foo
	and person.parents=union.id

problems: query assumes male/female unions, and doesn't differentiate
between different kinds of unions. union table would likely require start
and end dates, as well as a type column: 'marriage', 'tryst', etc. :)

                 http://www.saturn5.com/mike/contact.html

                "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"