when is some too much? WAS RE: [thelist] Link Types

Grace Teng trfc791 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 3 05:01:00 CST 2003

> here is one thought and one question about accessibility.

> 1. although accessibility is good and all, at what point does it become
> overkill? asked another way would be, is it really worth the time and
> effort to make our "eXtreme Gymnastics" page wheelchair accessible?

It depends on what you're trying to achieve there with your audience. If a
person on a wheelchair comes to your site, what is his/her most likely
intention? Why do you suppose they came? It comes down to who your audience is, why
they are there and what do they hope to gain from visiting your site.

> 2. can someone point me to a webpage that is at the absolute limit of
> accessibility as it stands today? i mean, i'm looking for a page that
> someone would be able to say "man, you don't get any more accessible
> than that!" i'd like to see what the source looks like for two reasons.
> (a) to get a feel for how much extra code is used, (b) to see how i can
> make my pages more accessible by using a real world example.

The most accessible-looking page I have ever seen is http://chessdoctor.com/
which ranks alongside sites made for Lynx. It's nothing but black-on-white
text and links. The source is nothing more complicated than any other site. I
also doubt an eXtreme gymnastics site would want to go that far. Target
audience: Aspiring chess players. Brower they may be using: could be anything from
IE6, Moz 1.3a, Netscape 7.01 to Lynx, IE4, Netscape 4. The beauty of the
site, then, is that it probably turns out the same content in every single
browser out there.

<rant at="IE">
The browser's rendering engine is horrible. It can't do hover on arbitrary
elements, it doesn't recognise the <abbr> tag, and doesn't even do simple
formatting for a tag it doesn't recognise even if it is specified in a
stylesheet. I am sick of designing, hacking and cutting my pages so they at least look
good on IE, but I have to, since about 99% of my target audience uses IE but
*I DON'T*.

Note to IE users: Don't take offense at this rant, just switch browsers and
you'll make me a happier Evolter. :)
</rant>

--
trfc791