[thelist] Standards advice

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Sat Jan 4 10:37:01 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:09:50AM -0700, Tom Mallon wrote:
> I, too, am amazed that so many major sites to bnot make an effort to
> use the new standards!  I believe that part of the problem is that W3C
> expects that new browsers will support everything back to html2.

This isn't a problem is is a good thing.

I'll never use a browser that doesn't support HTML2 in the forseeable future.

> While it is cool to be backwards compatible

It's more than cool, it's essential.

>- there is no real incentive to move ahead.

There's no incentive to move ahead?

You seem to be confusing writing standard code and and adopting XHTML.

Noone should adopt XHTML unless it is of benifit to them. Plain and simple.
The W3c creates new standards because things can be improved.  Stuff will hit
a peak in the future where new things come in slowly, but the web is so young
write now rapid development is neccessary.

The incentive to move to new standarss is quite simple.  if it's going to make
your life easier then do it, if not don't.

Everyone should attempt to write standard code because it's in our own best
interests but there's no need to jump on the bandwagon and adopt every new
technology.  If HTML4/3/2/1 validates and works for you, then it's all good.

- Kevin