[thelist] Floats, IE, Moz and definition lists

fstorr fffrancis at fstorr.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 12:49:00 CST 2003

Hi all

Well, I spent all afternoon trying to get this to work on IE5 (it's for
an intranet), brought it home and it's equally broken on IE 6.

I'm using a right floated definition list for navigation and an
unordered list to display news links.  If I add a custom image to the
unordered list, IE decides to chop off part of my right floated <dl>.
Remove the custom image and everything's fine.  I cannot for the life of
my work out why - it's doing ir in IE5+6.

Also, Moz 1.2 adds a large gap at the top of the <dl>.  Whilst it isn't
imperative that this is fixed, I'd like to know why it's doing it.

And finally IE6 and Moz are making my <dd> elements shorter than my
<dt>s.  I could just increase their width, but it feels like a bit of a
hack.

URLs:

http://www.thespiceweasel.com/csnews/newscentre.html (custom bullets,
chopped in IE)

http://www.thespiceweasel.com/csnews/newscentre2.html (no bullets, no
chopping)

I'll warn you now, there's a fair amount of CSS in there

http://www.thespiceweasel.com/csnews/csnews.css

http://www.thespiceweasel.com/csnews/csnews2.css

Regards

Francis