[thelist] Mozilla mail (was Free Tip on Outlook 2k )

Christopher Joseph christopher at ideadesigners.com
Mon Jan 6 17:29:01 CST 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:
> someone please explain something for me.
>
> if i use (or try to use) mozilla mail, will it download the emails (and
> subsequently remove them) from the server? or will it leave them there
> for later retrieval in another program, i.e. outlook 2000? (we use
> exchange 2k as our mail server.)
>
> chris.

You can specify the options by account to download or download and
delete or leave messages on the server.

see below (from MOZ help):

POP Server Settings

If you are not already viewing the POP server settings, begin from the
Mail window:

    1. Open the Edit menu and choose Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings.
You see the Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings dialog box.
    2. Select the account name and click the Server Settings category
name. (If you chose a POP server when you set up this account, you see
your POP server settings.)

     * Server Type: The server type (POP Mail Server) that you specified
when you created this account. To change the server type associated with
this account, you must delete the account and then re-create it.
     * Server Name: The server name that you specified when you created
this account. If you are having problems getting mail from this account,
verify with your service provider or system administrator that the
server name you entered is correct.
     * User Name: The user name that you specified when you created this
account.
     * Port: Unless otherwise instructed to do so by your service
provider or system administrator, leave this setting unchanged.
     * Use secure connection (SSL): Choose this setting if your mail
server is configured to send and receive encrypted mail. If you are
unsure, contact your service provider or system administrator.
     * Check for new mail at startup: Choose this setting if you want
Mail & Newsgroups to automatically check this account for new messages
whenever you start Mail & Newsgroups. For POP accounts, Mail &
Newsgroups doesn't download the new messages until you click Get Msgs on
the Mail toolbar.
     * Check for new messages every ___ minutes: Choose this setting to
automatically check for new messages, and then specify the number of
minutes between mail checks. If you do not select this setting, you can
check for new messages at any time by clicking Get Msgs in the Mail window.
     * Automatically download any new messages: Choose this setting if
you want Mail & Newsgroups to retrieve messages immediately each time it
checks the server.
     * Leave messages on server: Choose this setting to store a copy of
messages on the mail server in addition to downloading them to your
computer.
     * Delete messages on server when they are deleted locally: Choose
this setting to remove messages from the server once you delete them
from your computer.
     * Empty Trash on Exit: Choose this setting to empty the Trash
folder whenever you quit Mail & Newsgroups.
     * Local directory: The location on your hard disk where mail for
this account is stored.

--
Christopher Joseph

http://www.ideadesigners.com  [iseries & web technologies]