[thelist] Grabbing output from js to a file

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 7 21:43:01 CST 2003

I have a webpage with a series of forms, all javascript and created on
the fly. At the end of this test, I aggregate all the user input and
display it on the screen, but would now like to grab it and store it in
a file (as a comma seperated list (CSV)).

I experimented with a Java applet to write to a file but ran into
problems porting the application and the security (sandbox) model is
somewhat confusing to overcome.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of issue? What's the best way
to deal with this?

Right now I have two options open to me: Display the results as a comma
seperate values and the user can explicitly save the results through
file -> save as, which would mean the tester would have to do this
explicitly for each test taker - a real pain.

Another more viable option is to post the results to a Perl script,
which would write the resuls to a file. However, right now my the test
is completely Javascript based so it can be run on any computer, right
off a floppy disk and using perl will mean it can only run off the
server and not locally.

any ideas?

thanks,
aleem