[thelist] Safari details + UA string (was Apple releases new browser for OS X - "Safari")

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Jan 8 06:32:00 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Lachlan Cannon wrote:
> Ugh. Why the hell did they put Gecko in the UA string? So now instead
> of
> a reliable way to pick moz based browsers out further filtering is
> needed. Thanks Apple...

I thought that was odd too - but if the goal both Mozilla and [whatever
entity comes up with the Konqueror/Safari engine) is to be standards
compliant, in the long run, it will make things easier ... a minor
inconvenience in comparison to cross browser stuff from a few years ago
... man, think of the stories we'll be able to tell our grandkids about
the woes of web coders around the turn of the milennium.

BTW, over the last few months, I've seen a marked _increase_ of
Netscape in logfiles ... like 1.5 - 2 %. Anyone else?