[thelist] link management

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 8 23:51:01 CST 2003

> hi.
>
> i've decided to bite the bullet and ween myself from
> frontpage* and use instead HTML-Kit**. there are a few

good move!

> 1. i really like the directory listing that can be
> added/removed at will from the left side of the window.

Have your tried using some light-weight text-editors. I
use EditPlus ( http://www.editplus.com/ ) and couldn't
possible think about moving to something else. It's got
remote editing (so I can enter the ftp settings for evolt
and edit pages directly off the server, a ctrl+s saves it
remotely). It's got the directory listing window on the
left, but I never use it because it's got a Project menu
where I can add all the project files and I usually keep
all relevant project files open at the same time (tabbed
views, color coded to indicate which files have been
saved etc).

> 2. it's automatic link updating. when i change the name of a
> file via the left hand pane it updates all the links for
> the page throughout site.

Doesn't have this but it's got an awesome serach and replace
feature, including s&r in all open files, which even supports
regular expressions and multiline s&r (good for
replacing text which spans multiple lines).

You can download syntax highlighters for almost
any other language off their site. It's got a spell
checker which I use on selected text before uploading.
It has the usual character entity tables, html keywords
lists for easy dbl-clicking, autocompletion (which I find
annoying), tag closing, ctrl+b to preview... way too many
indispensable features and shortcuts. Once you get used
to it, you'll have your php/asp/html-editing streamlined.

aleem

[ http://members.evolt.org/aleem/ ]