[thelist] DIV Width Breaking in IE

sasha spam at bittersweet2.com
Thu Jan 9 16:50:01 CST 2003

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:25:58 -0800, Aaron Cole <awcole72 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response, Francis.
>
> I've changed the #content rule to margin-left: 180px, but am still
> gettting
> the same result.  In IE on a PC the content DIV is pushing 180 px to the
> right of of the wrapper DIV.
>

>> From: "fstorr" <fffrancis at fstorr.demon.co.uk>
>> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
>> Subject: RE: [thelist] DIV Width Breaking in IE
>> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:51:59 -0000
>>
>> > Page:
>> > http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/wpg/styleguide/internal/apps/form.
>> html
>> CSS:  http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/css/dev/internal.css
>>
>> +++++++++++
>>
>> Hi Aaron
>>
>> If you change the content div to:
>>
>> #content
>> {margin-left: 180px;
>> border: 1px solid orange;}
>>
>> It works just fine in IE6
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Francis

I don't know if I'm seeing exactly what you describe with ie 5.0, but I'm
seeing no overflowing.  Try changing your margin-left to auto.  There is
another strange bug I've been noticing with ie 5.0 (possibly on newer ones
too, but I use transitional doctypes), where certain divs will have the
exact same width, even though they're supposed to be 100% of the available
space (one has margin, the other doesn't).   The bug comes from using a
margin, and can be corrected by using a padding instead (I've seen it
correct itself while still using margin, but I have no idea how the hell it
did it).

--
sasha