[thelist] Collaborative Environment Suggestions

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Thu Jan 9 18:48:01 CST 2003

it's actually not a particularly unique situation; a great many open
source projects are comprised of a distributed team of developers
working remotely.  the machine you mentioned already has something that
does _exactly_ what you want: CVS (Concurrent Versions System).  the
server is included in a stock RH install. CVS works brilliantly for
webish text files; the comments are entirely separate from the files
themselves, as well as automatically taking care of the locking you
want.  rolling back to older versions of files is a cinch.   the
classic interface to it is, of course, the command line, but there are
pretty GUI clients for whatever platform you're working on.

http://www.cvshome.org/ is a decent place to start, or the old standby
'man cvs.' o'reilly produces a great little book on using it as well.
it's such a widely used package, there's a ton of information to be had
online about using it.

admittedly, it is a bit complicated to get going effeciently, but a
functional repository is _well worth_ the work (i even run it on my own
local machines to have accounting of versions of things i'm working on)

-jd

    J.D. Welch			|    so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|    http://www.showtunepink.com
    web developer       	|    https://kitschparade.ath.cx