[thelist] Email address existence validation

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 09:27:24 CST 2003

Bob

> > Can anyone point me in the direction of any resources
> regarding how to
> > validate an email address as being able to receive mail (as
> opposed to
> > simply being theoretically valid)?
>
> When I need to clean up a large mailing list, I use the
> windows shareware (approx $40) Advanced Maillist Verify:
>
> http://www.mailutilities.com/amv/?famv_42
>
> It supposedly does what you want. The thing is though that a
> number of ISP's attempt to defeat spammer's use of programs like
> this by returning false results or no results at all. Still,
> it's the best I've found for the rare times I need to use
> something along these lines.

Thanks for the response. In the meanwhile I found the following:
http://www.leviathansoft.com/mercury/EmailValidator/
who produce an email validation class in Java. I figure it shouldn't be
too difficult to put together a little Java app than cleans the list and
sends the clean list back to the perl script which then sends the
emails. BTW, I'm not spamming anyone, it's just that the bounces from a
newsletter subscription list are starting to annoy the administrator...

Regards

Chris Marsh