[thelist] Win2K: Changing "localhost"

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Jan 11 12:07:01 CST 2003

Frank wrote:

> Thanks. Unfortunately, that doesn't do the trick. The hosts file asks for
> an ip to be matched to a loopback name, whereas my IP is dynamic, and thus
> I would have to edit the file each time that my IP changed. I do currently
> have 127.0.0.1 localhost in the host file.

'127.0.0.1  localhost' *is* the "loopback" address; your public IP
has nothing to do with this.

Can you ping localhost? ping 127.0.0.1? If so, your 'loopback' is
definitely working.

Once again, I'd recommend you install Ethereal and sniff the traffic
to see what's really going on...

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.