[thelist] Head Hunters, Staffing Agencis and Job Hunting Tips

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 13 10:58:01 CST 2003

Sorry if this may come off as off-topic or thelist is not the right
place for this. Please do let me know.

I am starting a job hunt as a fresh undergraduate and have so far been
looking for jobs on places like workopolis, monster and a couple of
others. My question is, are there any websites people on thelist have
experience with or could recommend. Quite frankly, I get the impression
that 100s of people submit their resumes and mine will probably just go
at the bottom of the pile, let alone even get read. Have you people had
much success with these sites?

What is the deal with head hunters/staffers? Is there much of a
difference between the two and why do some people avoid them. Should I
be approaching them? Do they penetrate the "hidden job market"? What
other alternatives do I have? Should I look up the yellow pages and
start calling companies or drop my resumes to their HR? I once read that
you should try and submit resumes to the relevant departments and not
the HR department. Is that a better approach?

Any job hunting tips, resources, advice and experiences the evolters can
contribute would be a great help. I am particulary interested in the
webdev field in the Toronto area.

thanks,
aleem

[ http://members.evolt.org/aleem/ ]