[thelist] text-based html editor

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Mon Jan 13 13:07:00 CST 2003

>I use a Mac, so my favorite text-based html editor is BBedit. However, i
>need to recommend an editor to a client who is using windows. What's the
>best ~text-based~ HTML editor for windows (or if not best, the
>most-comparable to BBedit)?

I used HomeSite for years (1.2 until 5.0) and loved it. But when I needed to
move beyond just HTML and ASP it started to be constraining, so I looked
around a bit and settled on TextPad. I liked it simply because it was clean
and allowed me to customize syntax coloring, tab handling, newline handling,
etc on a document class or even a per-document basis. It even lets you
create macros to automate some of your tasks. Not as programmable as
HomeSite I guess, but it's okay.

The real reason I use TextPad though, is because I didn't want to learn Lisp
just to use emacs. Sheesh! :)

BTW, if anyone knows of a good Windows text editor that uses the Windows
chrome (toolbars, menus, sidebars, etc) and can incorporate the emacs text
editor or a reasonable facsimile thereof (it's flexible text-editing
commands and the like), I'd love to hear about it. :)

Thanks,
-dave