[thelist] zope: a few questions

george donnelly list at zettai.net
Mon Jan 13 13:56:02 CST 2003

[Chris W. Parker]

> george donnelly <mailto:list at zettai.net> wrote:
>
>> what protocol does html-kit use to connect? zope comes with built-in
>> FTP and WebDAV servers which are very convenient for remote-editing
>> (I use them all the time). Did you start the FTP and WebDAV servers
>> on your zope? on what ports?
>
> i believe html-kit can connect via ftp. by "ftp and webdav" do you mean
> that these two technologies work together or are these two separate ways
> of connecting to the site? i mean, can i connect via ftp and edit my
> pages or do i also need to turn on webdav? btw, where do i turn these
> services on?

ftp and webDAV are two different protocols. yes you can connect via ftp to
edit your pages. i assume you're running your own zope instance? can you
show me your start script (this is where you turn on ftp, http and webdav
services and bind them to a port and ip address)?

>> I suspect that you're going to encounter a lot of frustration trying
>> to integrate ASP and Zope.
>
> darn.
>
> what exactly is zope used for then? in what cases is it good for? to be
> more specific, if i had an e-comm website and i wanted to find a system
> that i could use to manage my content* would zope not be a good
> solution? would i be able to integrate the two?

zope is good for everything, basically. ;) zope is a framework. for what you
want i would try the CMF and Plone Products - these are excellent content
management systems that work together. see cmf.zope.org and plone.org.

yes you could integrate zope with other software in the sense that some
sections of a website could be run by one section, others by others and use
apache or IIS to make them all look like they're on website.

of course zope could also do the e-comm side of things as well. :) there are
just not as many off-the-shelf ready products out there for zope as there
for other software.

hth

<-->
george donnelly - http://zettai.net/ - "We Love Newbies" :)
Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet - ICQ: 51907738 - e:george at zettai.net