[thelist] zope: a few questions

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 13 22:48:01 CST 2003

AI would just add that there actually is something gained by storing some
>objects on the filesystem and that this happens quite often with zope, eg.
>ExtFile, ExtImage, LocalFS, FileSystemDirectoryView's etc.

Yep. Saves on having to pack your DB for starters. Then there's certain FS
operations that are close to 2 orders of magnitude quicker than equivalent
operations on the ZODB. No to mention being able to do cool things like put
a PDF on your filesystem, pass it through XPDF, and have that produce a
plain-text digest that you then use for indexing your content.

>also some people find it disconcerting that code gets mixed with content in
>the db and source control can become difficult.

We've handled CVS integration pretty well so far.

I'm currently experimenting with a way of presenting the *entire* Zope DB,
with any kind of object, as a file system device that you can traverse from
a command line as per any normal folder. It'll make source-control issues
in zope a thing of the past.

> > It doesn't require another webserver in front of it, but you can interface
> > to Zope via a webserver if needed. (Zope is pretty good at serving static
> > content. It has a great caching mechanism.) It's not just a front-end to a
> > content managment system.
>
>Right, you can serve from Zope directly on port 80 but its not rec'd as
>ZServer can potentially be vulnerable to DOS attacks. Its advised to run it
>behind Apache, Squid, etc.

Hmm. I really ought to commit my tuning patches for ZServer and Medusa.

>and, talking about static content, Zope is nowhere near as good at it as
>Apache. Zope has been shown to server dynamic content *very* fast tho. :)

Yeah, and the sad thing is that Apache's performance is nothing special. Of
course, you'll never notice unless you get into high-volume traffic. Still,
for an application server, Zope's remarkably good at doing static pages,
especially with judicious use of the Accelerated HTTP Cache Manager and the
RAM Cache Manager. JBoss is about the only standalone app server that's
faster at static pages.

- seb

--
seb can be found loitering at http://poked.org