[thelist] Re: headhunters, staffing agencies, etc.

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed Jan 15 15:27:02 CST 2003

From: Hassan Schroeder <hassan at webtuitive.com>
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: Head Hunters, Staffing Agencies and Job
Hunting
Tips

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Well, of course *IT staffing companies* have open lobbies and are
> willing to talk to someone off the street -- it's their *business*.

You might think so, but not in Madhattan -- I mean Manhattan.

>That's a far cry from the previous suggestion to pick a *company
>you want to work for* and just show up on their doorstep.

And of course, the man to whom I referred in my earlier post -- the one
who showed up at the IT department of a large brokerage asking to work
for free for a month to show them what he could do (on his FIRST job) --
 didn't go through any agency. That's the man who quickly became
Manager of Systems & Programming at his chosen Wall Street firm.

As I recall, he took that route when he found out their personnel
department wouldn't even *accept resumes* from IT "graduates" without
paid experience. This experience also made him extremely receptive to
applicants from outside his firm's personnel department, as you can
imagine. (-8

Cheers --
Carol
techwatcher at accesswriters.com