[thelist] Poodle predictor, try this new tool

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Jan 16 19:10:01 CST 2003

Hi,
<----- Original Message -----
<From: "Daniel Fascia" <danfascia at totalise.co.uk>

<I dont think it works properly, it certainly doesnt
<render my site at www.fascianewmedia.co.uk the
<way that google displays it...

I realise that the fact that google gets it's results from it's cached
version of webpages, and Poodle from the live page makes it hard to compare
whether it is giving a reliable result.
So I added support for Google's cached pages. This allows you to verify
whether Poodle is acting correctly for your site, before relying on it's
predictions.

To try this, type you URL into Google, and click the link saying

"* Show Google's cache of www.fascianewmedia.co.uk "

Paste the URL of that page into Poodles search box and try it.
The full URL will be something like this:

http://gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go?q=216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:p
rtC5hjIu_sC:fascianewmedia.co.uk/

(mind line break)

If that gives you more or less the same looking listing as Google does, you
can expect Poodles view of the live page to be roughly what Google will show
soon.

Am I drifting to far OT with this string?

<tip type='search-engines'>
The Alt and Title attributes are often regarded as food for nerds who code
for blind people that surf with Linx.

They're not however, they are what is seen by the search-engine, instead of
your images.
They are then simply dumped into the text, wherever they  happened to be on
the site.

So choosing good Alt and Title captions is important, they should make sense
when dropped into the rest of your text.

"Right Arrow" Our showroom ...
doesn't read very logically,

"Visit" Our showroom ...
Might be better.