[thelist] HTML Kit vs. HomeSite and TopStyle

Tom O'Dea todea at escape.com
Thu Jan 16 22:06:01 CST 2003

As Pete mentioned color coding is one thing but having the syntax support
for ASP or JSP is very helpful. Also after going over TopStyle again now I
see there is no table creator function for when you quickly need to create a
large table. Who wants to have to manually type in all of the tr and td
tags.

TopStyle also doesn't have scripting support whereas HomeSite allowed you to
create customized buttons which could either insert start and end tags,
insert code based on a script or launch a dialog box. TopStyle's clip
library lets you setup custom tags but it's not as powerful as HomeSite's
custom buttons.

I still feel that TopStyle is a step forward from HomeSite with much
improved css and xhtml support but it left out great time saving features
such as table wizard and simple image and link insert buttons.

With TopStyle to insert an image I have to type in the start of the tag,
click on it, then click over on the tag inspector src attribute, click on
the drop down menu select my image and insert it. But I still have to
calculate the height and width by right clicking on the img tag. Then to add
a class I need to jump back to the tag inspector.

With HomeSite I just click the image insert button, select my image, the
dimensions are automatically calculated and I can quickly assign a CSS
class, an alt attribtute, border or whatever you want and your done.

I know how to hand code my html and css but that doesn't mean I want to be
doing it all day especially at work when something needs to be done
yesterday. The editor should have commonly used functions available to
quickly insert code.

Tom