OT Re: [thelist] Re: [WD]: VMWare or Virtual PC for multiple IE installations

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Jan 19 21:15:01 CST 2003

From: "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat at operamail.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: [WD]: VMWare or Virtual PC for multiple IE
installations

: (Of course, I could go off on a rant about the fact that I **paid** for
: Win2000 and didn't get a real CD with it, so I couldn't use it on VMWare
: even though I have a legal copy of it.  I could go further to say that
this
: is yet another ridiculously stupid Microsoft policy that does not stop the
: black hats from stealing Windows OSes and only hurts the legit folks.  But
: that would be useless, so I won't bother.)

If you bought a consumer system, then MS requires that the manufacturer
supply you with Windows installation media. The only OEM agreements that I
know of that allow manufacturers not to supply media are for organisations
(and presumably individuals) that have volume purchasing agreements.

If you bought your machine from Dell, or Toshiba, or similar reputable
company I'd contact them about getting what you're entitled to.

Cheers
Ken