[thelist] To Application or Not ..

Anthony Johnston . Antix tech at antix.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 03:11:01 CST 2003

hiya,  a good way, is to store the data in a javascript file
and then reference it from your page and fill the select on load

this way the .js file will be cached on the users machine
and can be used by many pages.

something like this...

countries.js
var countries=new Array();
agct[1]=new Array("GBR", "United Kingdom");
agct[2]=new Array("USA", "United States");
agct[3]=new Array("AFG", "Afghanistan");
agct[4]=new Array("ALB", "Albania");
agct[5]=new Array("DZA", "Algeria");

page.htm
<script src='countries.js'>
<script>
	function fillList(l,d) {
		var i,o
		for(i=1;i<d.length;i++){
			l.length++;
			l.options[l.length-1]=new Option(d[i][1],d[i][0]);
		}
	}
</script>

call fillList with 'l' being the list (the select)
and 'd' being the data (countries)

I hope this is helpful,  Ant.
Anthony Johnston
	tech at antix.co.uk