[thelist] SQL question

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 13:36:01 CST 2003

Hiyo,

I am writing a search SQL statement. I am searching for results based
on

manFirst
manLast
womFirst
womLast

and the user picks one before I search. However, it has been
requested that if the user doesn't pick a parameter that I search on
all the names.

I have a variable called $byname that picks which parameter they
chose (if they did). So I have this:
$searchname = $_POST["searchname"];
$byname     = $_POST["byname"];

// find any result based on search parameters

if(isset($byname))
{
  $result = @mysql_query(
  "SELECT $byname FROM	reguser	WHERE $byname LIKE '$searchname'");
}

// the part above works fine...

else
{
  ** here is where I need a query to search ALL 4 name fields **
}

I started writing it then got stuck..how do I search 4 fields for the
same name? Can I use an OR in my select? That didn't seem right. This
is how I started..

SELECT
  manFirst OR manLast OR womFirst OR womLast ????
FROM
  reguser
WHERE
 manFirst etc etc LIKE '$searchname'

But then how would I specify a WHERE clause..I think I'm barking up
the wrong tree! Do I have to do 4 SQL statements?

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.pixelmech.com/