[thelist] web hosting, how to reduce bandwidth usage??

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jan 23 11:22:02 CST 2003

Lachlan Cannon <mailto:luminosity at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > 2. use css to style the website and link to the css file from
> > within each page. 2a. after writing a css file you can use a perl
> > script (such as the one i have been working on for the past few
> > days) to remove all unneccessary characters. comments, line breaks,
> > and superfluous spaces/tabs are all removed.
>
> An even bigger saving for text is to get mod_gzip installed on your
> server (assuming you're using apache), or a similar solution for iis.
> I don't know why more people don't use it, considering the huge
> amounts of bandwidth it'd save.

i would say that the two biggest factors are that people don't know it
even exists, and a lot of people use windows and therefore would have to
buy a (possibly) expensive product. (i'm assuming mod_gzip is free.)

but yes, i agree that your suggestion would make a big difference for
people with lots of text, maybe even him.

chris.