[thelist] site backups

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Sun Jan 26 16:22:01 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 04:46  PM, Paul Bennett wrote:

> Option (1)  is to ftp down ALL content, EVERY week. This currently
> takes
> around an hour or so on a cable connection ands is a big fat waste of
> my
> precious bandwidth, but it would guarantee a good reliable full site
> backup.
> Option (2) is to only ftp down files that have been modified, based on
> my (flakey) memory of what I have been up to for the week. This would
> be
> VERY error prone but would save bandwidth.

hmm, so if you're already backing up the data on the server, what you
want is something that syncs your server data with your machine at home?

> Am I just not GETTING cvs? Are there other *cough*
> free *cough* tools I can use for this task that would only pull down
> the
> *changed* files?

cvs is for version control and collaborative development more than
straight backups (though it does that too, sortof).  since cvs works on
plain text files, your pdfs and flash won't benefit much from it.

have a look at rsync (from the man page):

	  The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to  transfer
        just  the differences between two sets of files across the
        network link

...i think this is more what you have in mind?  it's installed standard
on most unicies and i got it to work on windows (with cygwin i think)
long ago; it works wonderfully, much much more efficient (imo) than ftp.

-jd

    J.D. Welch			|    so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|    http://www.showtunepink.com
    web developer       	|    https://kitschparade.ath.cx