[thelist] secure forms and e-commerce etc

evolt at zamba.com evolt at zamba.com
Sun Jan 26 20:43:01 CST 2003

I have a secure server available to me on my virtual hosting accounts.
So I can put secure forms on my websites and get eg cc info safely sent
to me on the same server via sendmail. But if I then download this info
via my email account this is insecure, right? Presumably the best way to
safely obtain the information would be to download it via a secure area
on the website. I realise that in full ecommerce situations there is a
secure line between the banks and the service provider, but what if you
want to do it by hand with your own offline merchant account? I asked a
few people and they simply downloaded the info with their regular email
client, which doesn't seem very secure to me - or am I wrong?

In any event, in some of my scenarios there is a need for security in
non-finacial matters, eg medical reports.

Tony Page

      [ZambaGrafix]
   <websites that work>
tel: +61 2 9953 4425