[thelist] secure forms and e-commerce etc

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Mon Jan 27 04:35:01 CST 2003

Tony Page wrote:

/snip quote/
I have a secure server available to me on my virtual hosting accounts.
So I can put secure forms on my websites and get eg cc info safely sent
to me on the same server via sendmail. But if I then download this info
via my email account this is insecure, right?
/end snip/

You could:
1. enable secure email.
2. Only send some of the info. Meaning, you send (insecure) email saying
such and such has been ordered, or whatever, and then a link to the secure
area of the web site to look up the full data on an encrypted connection.
3. send full details encrypted to your public key.

I use 3 mainly; I use http://www.gnupg.org/ on the server and
http://www.pgpi.org/ locally, so encrypt the contents on the email before
sending.

Kind regards, Liam Delahunty
Mega Products Limited, 10-11 Moor Street, Soho, London W1D 5NF
http://www.onlinesales.co.uk/ Open Source PHP/MySQL E-commerce
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/ web/ design/ database/ programming
http://www.britstream.com/ Hosting/ Domain Names From UKP 7.50 p.a.