[thelist] ASPMail

John McCrory JMcCrory at Vera.org
Mon Jan 27 14:48:00 CST 2003

Hello,

I remember I had the problem you describe a year ago when I was using
ASPMail 2.x, but it went away when I upgraded to 4.x.

A note at http://www.xcent.com/faq/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=257 suggests it was a
bug, but I've not seen any verification of that anywhere else.

I would add that you can try one possible variation before you spend the
time upgrading: try reversing the order of arguments in the
Mailer.AddRecipient method, so that the e-mail address comes first, instead
of the name. If I remember correctly, one of my programmers had done this
(apparently as a work-around) back when we were using 2.x, and it worked
fine then. However, when I upgraded to 4.0 all our mail scripts stopped
working, and eventually I figured out I had to switch the order of arguments
in this method back to the standard name-first, emailaddress-second to get
them to work again. I suspect that the "bug" the note above refers to may be
that some earlier versions of ASPMail mixed this order up.

In other words, try

Mailer.AddRecipient "testing at ratking.co.uk", "KJS"

and see if it works.

Otherwise, this error, "must have sender and recipient first" is usually
issued when an SMTP server receives the Mailer.Subject or Mailer.BodyText
properties before the Mailer.AddRecipient method. In some cases (where an
administrator has set it up that way) the server needs to know whether there
will be more than one recipient before it starts assembling the message.

  John McCrory |
     Webmaster |