[thelist] Google listing methods

Tony Grimes lists at tonygrimes.com
Mon Jan 27 23:18:00 CST 2003

On 1/27/03 9:44 PM, ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> source for that info?

I read an interview somewhere (Search Engine Watch maybe?) that listed a
comment from a Google source. It's not official or anything; more like a
theory. It happened around the time the "Search King" guy sued (or
threatened to sue) Google for trashing his PageRank (and those on his
network).

Normally changes in Google rankings are subtle, but around September they
changed a lot. There were even stories about it on Wired. The Google guy
said they made bigger changes than usual to the search algorithms that month
to fight spammers. Since the main targets were "Google-bombers", the article
theorized that Google scaled back the importance of link text and the link
relevance for pages with a PR of 4 or lower (that's approximate, since PR is
really some magical number that only Google knows).

Sorry if my statement sounded like known-fact. It's just what the experts
theorized at the time.

.tony