[thelist] CSS, Lists, and Display Issues

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Jan 28 07:51:05 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Kogler" <ken.kogler at curf.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 10:08 PM

> ---------------------------------
>   1. item               something
>   2. item2         something else
>   3. item               something
> ---------------------------------

Just an FYI, on my IE 6.0, it looks more like this:

    item
                          something 1
1.                       something 2
2. item 2

FWIW, I was able to do the something similar without embedding any divs.  I
did it by adding a <br clear="all" /> just after the span.  I know that
clear="all" may go the way of the dodo, but I wanted to bring it to the
surface JUST in case you wanted a second approach.

Eg

<ol type="1">
  <li>
    item
        something<br />something line 2
  </li>
  <li>item 2</li>
</ol>

The difference on my display was that it now looks like this on ie 6:

1.  item
                            something
                            something 2
2.  item 2

Still not what I'd hope to see, but it may be food for thought.

I checked out some of the code suggested on the list (specifically Lonnie's)
in IE and Mozilla and the presentation is not consistent.  No fault of
anybody, of course, except the browser.  You may want to consider using
another approach if cross-browser consistency is important to the client.

-joshua