[thelist] Links not Linking...

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Tue Jan 28 09:45:04 CST 2003

Actually I found the error; its more like a bug on Internet Explorer 5.0.
(To swallow my pride, here is the offending code):

<h3><a href="/docs/tips/Ergonomic%20Tips%20for%20Office%20Workers.doc">How
ergonomically friendly is your workspace?</a></h3>
are some good ergonomic tips for office workers.

Allow me to digress a bit. The <h3></h3> link worked, but the one below it
didn't. Please note that they are identical. The "Here" looked like a link,
but the cursor was not turning into a hand. I tweaked the link a bit:

Here <a
href="/docs/tips/Ergonomic%20Tips%20for%20Office%20Workers.doc">are</a> some
good ergonomic tips for office workers.

And the link worked. The error occurred in such a fashion that it would not
allow me to link the very first word...  So to prove my theory I tried this:

are</a> some good ergonomic tips for office workers.

"Here are" both appeared as one continuous link. However, "Here" was not
click'able whereas "are" was. When you hover over a link in IE, an underline
appears. The underline did not appear under the word, "Here" but it did
(appear over "Here are") when I hovered over "are".

Additionally, I went back just now to try something else. I changed the
headline to have the first word in it linked only:

<h3><a
href="/docs/tips/Ergonomic%20Tips%20for%20Office%20Workers.doc">How</a>
ergonomically friendly is your workspace?</h3>

The same thing happened. "How" did not link. I strongly believe this is a
bug in IE 5.0. If you have IE 5, give it a shot and tell me what happens.

Strange and stranger still. My apologies if I was being an @$$ to some of
you before. I had a bad day.

 - me