[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

j.d. welch so.there at showtunepink.com
Tue Jan 28 18:56:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 03:22  PM, Erik Mattheis wrote:

> So, two questions:
>
> 1. suggestions for PHP books to buy - aimed at people that already know
> a scripting language - ie, excellent reference section and index.

i'll second that the online manual is amazing (php.net)-- they've done
nifty mod_rewrite stuff so you can get to a function's page with a
simple url, i.e. php.net/switch will give you the page on 'switch'

also, i love Lerdorf and Tatroe's "Programming PHP"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progphp/) it's mostly what you can get
online, but there is some interesting explanation of why things were
designed as they were.  good for simply reading through; very much your
usual o'reilly no-bullshit reference book.

> 2. What is the thing that provides a GUI for MySQL that mimics SQL
> Server's? (I recall it was written by someone in Germany and have been
> told it's excellent).

i'm not sure what sql server's looks like, but since you mentioned OS
X, here's a great cocoa-java mysql gui: YourSQL
(http://www.mludi.net/YourSQL/)

...or the previously-mentioned phpMyAdmin

-jd

    J.D. Welch			|    so.there at showtunepink.com
    graphic designer    	|    http://www.showtunepink.com
    web developer       	|    https://kitschparade.ath.cx