[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Jan 29 03:26:01 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 02:02 AM, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> From: "Erik Mattheis" <gozz at gozz.com>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL
> : CFMX Pro                              $1,299
> : SQL Server 2000                    2,500 (*)
> : iMail 250 users                           999
> : Win 2K Server                         1,200
> : ----------------------------------------------
> :                                                  $5,998
>
> But if you're using PHP and mySQL, you can run that on Windows as well,
> lopping $3800 off the price you have above.

Agree, yes, very agree. But me no like Windows. Me use Windows because
me felt must! Me can using Mac OS X and this being me make happy!

> I'm not familiar with the best places in the US to buy computer stuff,
> but a
> quick browse around:
> An OEM version of Windows2000 Server (with 5 CALS, which is 4 more
> than you
> need if you're running web apps) is approximately $570

See, that's about what I paid for "Win2K Server" on my development box.
I've not heard why I had to pay that price instead of half that for
Win2K Developer - I use "Win 2K Server" on the box in this room for
development and development alone (and Win 2K Developer won't work as I
need it to in order to do "development") (despite the fact I _could_
when I was using NT 4 Server) (Me feel bad man thinking new way to
being take me money!).

To come up with the above tally, I went to microsoft.com and it seemed
obvious that Win2K for a production server cost $1200. If what you say
is correct, the fact that it wasn't easy for me to find out the actual
pricing for what I need (me need much VERY!) is a testament that they
don't care for my business. So without going into MS bashing more than
I already have, they don't want or deserve my business. And I'm fine
with that.
Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>