[thelist] MySQL Inserts

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Jan 29 06:42:02 CST 2003

> ... if I am creating an item to insert into both Items and ItemClor
because
> the auto_increment has not been created and assigned and inserted into
> ItemID it can't be simultaneously inserted into another table because the
> record doesn't exist?  Is that right?

that's correct

if ItemID is the auto_increment column, leave it out of the INSERT statement

     insert
       into Items
          ( ItemSKU
          , ItemName
          , ItemDescription
          , ItemCost
          , Category
          , ShippingCost )
     values
          ( '$ItemSKU'
          , '$ItemName'
          , '$ItemDescription'
          , '$ItemCost'
          , '$Category'
          , '$ShippingCost'
          , '$ItemID' )

then use mysql_insert_id to get the value that was assigned to ItemID

then use this value when inserting into the other table

> this realtional database stuff suppposed to be this easy?

yes, very easy, especially after you work your way through a basic tutorial

;o)