[thelist] utility to list all requests made to server per click

sam at sam-i-am.com sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Jan 29 22:41:06 CST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Chris W. Parker wrote:

> i hope my subject title wasn't too cryptic. what i am looking for is a
> utility that will list all the resources requested by my computer to a
> server when i click anywhere on a website. i guess it would be the same
> thing the server logs record except it would be for the client.

I've had a couple variations on this theme working recently. Right now I'm
running a little mod_perl proxy written in perl that mirrors each server
response to my local drive while preserving the filename and directory
structure. I adapted it the other day to include the client request header
and server response headers for each file received.
It would be v. easy to simply log all requests.
My setup is Apache 1.3 with mod_perl on Win2k, with ActiveState's perl. I have
Apache listening on 8800 and all requests are handled by the perl script..
its probably not the best way to do it, but it's working for my purposes (which
 are all debugging and troubleshooting at the moment.

to use, I just go into my browser settings and tell it to use http proxy
localhost:8800 and my hard drive starts filling up just like that :)

Anyway, let me know if that sound like something you'd be interested in
looking into. All the pieces are free, but its not bundled up in one tidy
installer.

 Sam