[thelist] Experience and server architecture for .NET

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 08:49:00 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 14:05, JSchell at doeanderson.com wrote:

Jdc> 1. Real world architecture and configuration for server(s).  i.e. processor
Jdc> speed/memory, standalone db,mail, IIS servers versus shared systems.  Based
Jdc> upon this architecture what is your server load versus reliability.  How
Jdc> many sites/load can you support on one/two/three machines, realistically?

can't really answer this one as our machines are being all that pushed.
but the spec of the machine hasn't changed from running asp to asp.net
and the .net pages run much faster.

as to how many sites, guess it depends on the type of site it is, how
much use it gets etc.

the way the sites run has changed as well with each site being isolated
from the rest so one badly written site shouldn't kill the server for
everyone else.

Jdc> 2. Security issues encountered with .NET

none so far.  the asp.net worker process runs in a specific asp account
which limits what it can and can't do.  you can run it as a system
account if you want but it isn't recommended.

Jdc> 3. Available support

for who??  there are a lot of excellent sites / books / mailing lists out
there for your developers if that's what you mean.

Jdc> 4. Have you dealt with multiple developers using the same Visual Studio
Jdc> project files across a network.  What has been the pros/cons of it?

for best results each person has their own copy of the project and
sourcesafe is used to ensure two people don't try and edit the same file.
works well, you don't screw up someone elses work and they don't
introduce bugs into other parts of the system while you are trying to
trying to get your stuff to work.  it can be tricky to set up at times,
but once its running it's great.

see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp for
lots more details.

Jdc> 5. How difficult of a transition has it been for developers who have PERL,
Jdc> ASP, CF and iHTML experience to learn the nuances of .NET?

i've come from asp with bits of other programming thrown in.  the
transition was reasonably easy.  the hardest thing to get your head
around is that now you have a fully object oriented programming language
to leverage and going from a procedural approach to try and think in a
more oo fashision.

Jdc> 6. What has been the pros and cons of VB.NET versus C#?

i think there are very little difference between the two languages.  the
.net framework is identical regardless of the language you choose and
makes up something like 90% of what you need to know, the individual
language the other 10%.

the examples in books and websites seem to be pretty evenly balanced
between the two languages.

at the very least you need to be able to read the language you don't
program in as you can guarantee the code example you need to try and
solve a problem is in c# when you're a vb programmer! ;>

Jdc> 7. What resources online are available to address these real world
Jdc> questions?

try (in no particular order)...

   msdn.microsoft.com
   gotdotnet.com
   aspalliance.com
   dotnetjunkies.com
   4guysfromrolla.com
   learnasp.com
   asp.net

and the various forums and mailing list some of these sites offer.

hth,

darren.