[thelist] Link Etiquette

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Thu Jan 30 12:12:00 CST 2003

 > Am I being dumb, or wouldn't setting the title attribute inside the
 > anchor to something meaningful have the desired effect, at the expense
 > of a "helpful tooltip" in the visitor's browser when they point the
 > finger at the link?

I think this is partly correct. I tried this in IE 6, and right-clicking to
Add to Favorites added the title as the name of the Favorite. On the other
hand, if I clicked and dragged the link to my "Links" toolbar, the actual
text of the link (i.e. the "click here" being discussed) was the name of
the favourite.

 > [This whole topic kind of caught me off guard. I've never added a favorite
 > without looking at the page first to see if it was worth adding.  I'm
 > still not sure why anyone would right-click add a favorite - but since
 > some of the folks in my audience might do it, that's something I'll have
 > to keep in mind and check for in my work.]

Personally, I will often click and drag a link to my "Links" toolbar if I
want to bookmark it for later viewing (especially if the link occurs in the
middle of a bunch of text, so I don't want to stop reading to go visit
another site).