[thelist] Webdings usage

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Jan 31 05:27:01 CST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:37:12 +0000, Ben Morrison wrote:
> Was wondering wether anyone has ever used webdings as one of their chosen
> fonts. Cant remember how long its been installed on the mac, I think it came
> with ie 4 on pc.

The trouble with using graphical fonts is that things tend to fall apart
if the font is not available. As a result WebDings isn't really suitable
for use on the Web.

For a project in an intranet enviroment where the author has control over
the fonts installed on systems it may be suitable (although care has to be
taken to ensure that there are no conflits with user style sheets and major
problems will show up if the company hires somebody dependant on screen
reader software or a braille based browser - you can't specify alt content
for text!)

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
"You cannot rewrite history, not one line."